How to Polish Resin -- Step by Step to Make Resin Gloss
How to Polish Resin -- Step by Step to Make Resin Gloss
Brilliant polishing of the resin art gives it a glossy effect that makes you take pride in your effort. Polishing resin craft is a relatively straightforward process that needs you to exercise patience and work smart. Keep reading to learn how to polish epoxy resin and achieve the desired effect.
➤1. Resin Art Suitable For Polishing
Practically most resin craft will need polishing to give it an astounding look and feel if you are not happy with its overall outlook. The gloss effect resulting from the polish makes it stand out from any other resin. To make it even more unique, you need to use the best polish for epoxy resin. JDiction Epoxy Resin is the best resin supplier that promises to uniquely meet the needs of your piece of art.
Most people often have a hard time determining how to go about polishing epoxy resin. However, that ought not to confuse you at all. You can tell that you need to polish your art when it feels scratchy or dull.
When you polish, you get to retain the same brilliant shine that your resin art may have had when you first made it.
Some of the other cases when you may consider polishing include:
- Resin art correction
- Enhancing colordepth
- Resin art colorrejuvenation
➤2. Step 1 —— Sanding Your Resin Crafts
Sanding is the best way to polish epoxy resin as your starting point. This old fashion approach never disappoints and effectively works on the annoying roughness. You will find it worthwhile starting with the grits and proceeding to the very rough to fine wet sanding.
2.1 Sanding Tools You Need
The tools that you use do matter when it comes to sanding your resin craft. You risk incurring more loss and regret when you make the mistake of using the wrong sanding tool. In most cases, the wrong tool could damage your art.
And even if it does not cause damage, you may not get the envisioned results if the tool used is not up to the task.
Using the correct sanding tools on resin craft simplifies the process, produces astounding results and ensures your safety.
Have a look at these sanding tools:
- Sandpaper – Any professional and seasoned artist understands the importance of sandpaper. Consider using coarse sandpaper to sand the whole resin art and remove imperfections such as a bubble or a hair.
- Dust mask – This tool does not directly work on the resin craft but is meant to protect you. When sanding, you will produce a very fine dust that may prove harmful to inhale. That’s why you need a dust mask to protect you from airborne dust particles. You may also consider installing a dust extractor.
Pay close attention to the mentioned sanding tools as you polish because they influence your overall experience when performing the process.
2.2 How to Sand Epoxy Resin - Step by Step Introductions
The sanding process is straightforward and does not need any technical background to do it. However, make sure that you consider the points mentioned above to get it right.
Prepare -- Clean your resin craft:
As you prepare to start working on the resin craft using the sanding method, it is crucial that you first take care of some essential elements. Remove any mould, grime, or dirt from the resin so that you can effectively sand it.
Also, as you look into how to sand and polish epoxy resin, remember that you can handle soft dirt by simply dipping it in soapy water.
How you go about sanding resin art:
- Wear protective gear like a dust mask
- Dip your resin art in water
- Start smoothing using 400 grit sandpaper, ensuring that you cover the whole surface
- Repeat process in step three with finer grit sandpaper (800, 1000, or 1500 grit sandpaper)
- Using a smooth towel to dry the resin and get rid of any dust or grit
With the sanding done, you are set to learn how to polish epoxy resin countertops.
➤3. Step 2 —— Polish Your Resin Art Work
Working on your pieces does not stop with sanding. You need to polish it to achieve that ultimate gloss you’ve been waiting for. Luckily, this is a no-brainer.
Remember that polishing is the secret behind shining your resin craft when done with sanding. Also, anyone who is applying the polish must be patient. That’s because it typically takes some time before getting the desired shine.
3.1 Polishing Tools You Need
A comprehensive epoxy resin polishing kit comprises of the following tools:
- Polishing compound for epoxy resin – Polishing compound is required for achieving high levels of gloss as well as restoring gloss on scratched resin art surfaces.
- Microfiber cloth or towel – Required for rubbing polishing compound into your resin over a small surface. You can also use a separate clean microfiber to wipe off any leftover compound after polishing.
- Polishing tool (Power drill or Polish machine) – You need a polishing tool, either power drill or polish machine, when working on a large surface resin craft.
3.2 Polish Tool Choosing – Drill Or Polish Machine?
Purchasing a special polishing machine can prove worthwhile. That becomes particularly important when working on larger surfaces. You can easily attach various polishing sponges or polishing discs to the machine, and you will be good to go. The machine may provide different adjustment options that reduce the risk of the resin craft surface overheating when polishing.
A standard drill that has a special polishing attachment comes in handy when polishing small objects or shapes. You can use polishing discs or polishing sponges of various sizes in this case. You may also attach to the drill polishing ball heads when working with very small objects.
Keep off angle grinders when polishing epoxy resin. That’s because they do not give you control over speed and may overheat the surface during the process.
3.3 How to Polish Epoxy Resin After Sanding - Step Introductions
Just like sanding, you can get started with polishing your work almost instantly:
- Remove any dust on your resin resulting from the sanding process
- Apply the polishing compound on the resin art surface, ensuring that it is uniformly spread
- Polish the surface using a polishing tool attached to a drill or polishing machine. Move it over the surface while it is spinning in a circular motion
- Polish until you get a shiny and smooth surface
This guide has taken you through how to sand and polish epoxy resin for a glossy look and feel. Remember to always start with sanding before you can polish. Make sure that you do not complete any of the processes in a hurry. That’s because the quality of the final result depends on your patience and the tools used. More importantly, you need to use the best polishing compound for epoxy resin to avoid unforeseen disappointments.