How to Make your Resin colorful – Liquid Resin Pigment or Mica Powder?
How to Make your Resin colorful – Liquid Resin Pigment or Mica Powder?
You cannot underestimate the need to set aside sufficient time to make your resin colorful. A colorfully completed resin is not only attractive but also gives you a strong sense of satisfaction. As you add the pomp and colors to your resin, you get to explore your best artistic skills and try out different DIY ideas.
As far as implementing several DIY ideas and putting your artistic skills to the test is concerned, nothing can beat resin coloring. Generally, two products stand out for this purpose – Mica Powder and Liquid Epoxy Resin Pigment. Keep reading to learn how JDiction supports your mission to create an appealing resin with various colorful ideas.
Difference between Mica Powder and Liquid Epoxy Resin Pigment
For years, the resin art community has silently, and sometimes loudly, disagreed over what option to go for - Mica Powder or Liquid Epoxy Resin Pigment? The heated debate can leave you feeling confused over what to choose between the two.
The difference between Mica Powder and Epoxy Resin Pigment is that Liquid Translucent Epoxy Resin Colorant has a metallic glitter, is not staining, and does not dissolve in the carrier. On the other hand, Mica Powder, is shimmery and opaque. It has a glassy shine, and does not dissolve in anything, creating a granular optical effect.
Concerning choosing what would best work for you, Epoxy Resin Pigment is better than Mica Powder. That’s because you can color your resin with just a small amount.
★ Epoxy Resin Pigment
We have briefly introduced you to some of the vital
features of the Epoxy Resin Pigment in the above section. Most artists and DIY enthusiasts often find Epoxy Resin Pigment a great choice due to its flat and non-shimmery features. Choosing JDiction Epoxy Resin Pigment would seamlessly meet your resin art needs. The high concentration means that all you need is a drop to achieve an astounding resin dye effect.
When undertaking any artwork, you can always expect to meet very diverse requirements. In some cases, you may find yourself in need of certain custom colors. Under such circumstances, feel free to mix the translucent and bright colors of JDiction Epoxy Resin Pigment with Mica resin pigment powder to get your desired custom colors.
Check the below images showing how different usages have amazing effects:
▷ Adding resin directly and stirring evenly
▷ Mixing the resin and dropping the colorant to render the beauty of the lines
▷ Resin painting, mix with resin and use different colors of resin to achieve your painting
Click to get the blue flower tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD0d2LZIHNo)
▷ Mixing with JDiction Mica Powder at will. Add a little, get a transparent sparkle effect
Click to view tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awzR4i5lgQ)
▷ Add a little glow powder, create beautiful luminescent colorants that glow in the dark
Tips for using JDiction Epoxy Resin Pigment
As you prepare to start using JDiction Epoxy Resin Pigment, the following tips can help you to make the most of it:
- Shake the bottle before using.
- Mixing liquid highly concentrated epoxy resin dye with Epoxy resin can help deliver one of the best color effects. To get desired results, make sure that you properly mix and allow sufficient time to cure. You will not need any catalyst for the resin dye and epoxy resin mixture.
- Do not use liquid resin dye to make soap, lip gloss, slime, bath bombs, and cosmetics because it is non-food graded.
- Always cover your workplace to avoid cases of resin dye leaving behind some undesired marks.
- Before going large scale, you may find it viable to start with a small amount of resin and resin dye to determine if the color meets your needs.
- You can adjust your pigments to the mixture to get the desired color saturation. Ideally, this should be between 2% to 6% of the mixture (exceeding 6% can cause hardening problems)
★ Mica Powder
Mica is a natural stone mineral with shiny flakes. When mica is ground into a powder, you get mica powder. Mica powders are therefore sparkly, sort of like very fine glitter. They’re used to give a metallic or shimmery pearl-like effect. Because of its non-toxic nature, it can be widely used in DIY projects, including resin art. Mica powder is an amazing product to use in your resin projects. It is fun to use and gives your art a beautiful shimmer.
How to Use with Epoxy Resin?
Using epoxy resin dye does not require rocket science: Here is how to use it:
▷ Mix Mica Powder with Resin
Click to view tutorial（https://youtu.be/L-NePmtCsj0）
- Start by mixing the hardener properly with your resin before adding Mica Powder to the mixture.
- Ensure that the Epoxy Resin Pigment you add to the mixture ranges between 2% - 6% of the mixture weight if you do not want to spoil the resultant color. You can gradually adjust the amounts until you get the predetermined color.
- Pour the resin into the mold and allocate sufficient time to harden
▷Using Mica Powder to dry-paint the mold
To dry-paint the mold with Mica Powder:
- Ensure that you dip a dry brush into Mica Powder and scoop a small amount of powder which you rub on a molded pocket.
- Take caution to use correct proportions and use a stick for thorough mixing. Do not attempt to do this in a hurry because your 100% concentration is required.
- Pour resin into the mold and allow sufficient time to harden
Warming Tips for JDiction Mica Powder
- When working with a transparent, translucent, or clear base, we recommend that you use about half teaspoon per kg of Mica Powder
- Whatever you add to epoxy will weaken it. Thus, do not go more than 6% of the colorant
- Feel free to mix mica into the resin partly or completely. Make this decision guided by what intensity of color you aim at achieving.
- Do not attempt to add more mica than what the resin can hold. If you do so, the resin will not cure.
Other Uses of Cosmetic Mica Powder
- For Handmade Soap
Thanks to the deep opaque color that it yields, Mica Powder can function as a natural soap dye. It forms an important part of soap making supplies. The powder dye melts fast and attaches to the soap material, giving you a great leeway to build your art.
- Forbath bomb making
Do not use more than two teaspoons of Mica Powder per kilogram when making bath bombs. You can also use mica to paint your bath bombs.
- For Makeup Project
The JDiction Mica Powder is a cosmetic-grade product that you can rely on for your DIY makeup needs.
- For Candle Making
You can add pomp and color to your candle by using Mica Powder as a decorative agent. As the wax melts, these colors may create an appealing art at the candle’s base.
- For Slime
Mica Powder is widely used in slime DIY to expose an individual’s level of creativity.
- Decorating tumblers
You can explore your artistic skills by brightening up your tumblers using mica powder.
You will have fun creating geodes and love the finishing using mica powder
The ability to make unique jewelry by mixing mica stands out as one of the most appealing projects of a resin artist.
We have seen that you can make your resin colorful with Mica Powder and Liquid Resin Pigment. Your creativity is the limit as far as how your piece of art turns out. Please explore the JDiction Mica Powder and JDiction Epoxy Resin Pigment to add color to your resin art as desired. The high-quality products by JDiction are designed to deliver results beyond your imagination. Get started today to see for yourself!